Digital Plain Film Imaging (X-Ray)
X-rays allow your doctor to visualize areas within your body not normally seen. Utilizing low doses of ionizing radiation, x-rays aid in diagnosing fractures, arthritis and many other conditions that directly impact your care. The Imaging Center of UWS uses state-of-the-art equipment making certain that your radiographs are of the highest quality possible. Your x-rays are taken and interpreted by highly qualified individuals who are dedicated to ensuring that the results of your study are given to your doctor, usually within the same day. There is no special preparation needed for this exam.
Musculoskeletal (MSK) Ultrasound
Musculoskeletal (MSK) diagnostic ultrasound is an injury assessment modality that uses sound waves to create images of painful or injured areas in the body. This technique provides high resolution images. Musculoskeletal ultrasound is known to be effective in improving the care of patients with a variety of musculoskeletal injuries. Although MRI dominated as an imaging procedure for many years in North America, musculoskeletal ultrasound is now emerging as an affordable alternative to MRI.
Calcaneal Quantitative Ultrasound for Bone Density Screening
The Imaging Center of UWS provides an inexpensive, risk-free screen for osteoporosis utilizing sound waves that measure the stiffness of the calcaneus. There is no special preparation is needed for this examination. This examination will be able to determine normal bone density, low bone density or osteoporosis. Screening is recommended if risk factors are present such as:
- Gender: Women are four-times more likely to experience depleting bone density than men.
- Age: The older you are, the greater your risk of osteoporosis.
- Body size: Small, thin women are at greater risk.
- Ethnicity: Caucasian and Asian women are at highest risk. Black and Hispanic women have a lower risk.
- Family history: Osteoporosis tends to run in families. If a family member has osteoporosis or breaks a bone, there is a greater chance that you will too.